harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Dr. Strangebuild or: How I learned to stop worrying and love Gump
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:48:15 GMT
On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 10:07:59AM -0800, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Gump is the, citing Leo, the "most misunderstood piece of software ever".
<snip/>

Hehehe.

Way back, before the jdk had a gargantuan TCK (this is something I assume),
apache's java hackers would routinely find various bugs in the jdk. Gump is
a tool that helps do this. Previously we've helped the kaffe people to do
much of the same thing (I don't think we have a gump-on-kaffe set up at the
moment unfortunately. I keep trying to convince Dalibor to put in some cycles
to help make it happen). One of the main reasons that Apache Ant works so
well on so many platforms and has a long history of backwards-compatibility
is that its developers make good use of gump.

> WARNING: gump is far from being perfect and a new generation (gump3) has
> been in the making forever [and this is why both Leo and I got a real
> day job and stopped working on it]. We also had a summer-of-code student
> working on the dynamic web application interface for dynagump and
> continuing that work is in my light-year-long todo list.
>
> I'm secretly hoping to get this project to make me itch my old gump
> scars enough to start scratching again.

Yeah, same here. Heh, its one of the reasons I wanted to be involved with
Harmony in the first place.

My other secret hope is that there's some people who really, really need
gump3 and know it (most of the software industry needs it but doesn't know
it) and are gonna pay me to finish the critter (which serves as a nice
itch).

> NOTE: if somebody wants to have access to vmgump (the solaris zone that
> runs all the code) and help us setup a harmony gump run, that can be
> easily arranged.

Well, we'd probably have to make said individual a committer first. Heh.
That's also easily arranged I guess :-).

LSD