harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [jchevm] JCHEVM discussion]
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:50:42 GMT
Hi Etienne,

> A little clarification.  I don't claim that you can't study another's
> Free/Open Source (F/OS) VM source code, or that you can't contribute to
> multiple VMs over time.  I claim that this does not allow you to COPY
> one VM's source code into another one without respecting the Copyright.

This is clear. I was a bit alarmed though by your reference to "clean room"
conditions - clean room conditions are enforced in order to eliminate all
possibility of taint, because there is a presumption that the owner of the
copyright in A will sue the developers of B if they think they have even a
chance of proving taint. In the open-source world the presumption is usually
the other way around - that developer A will not sue developer B unless there
is evidence of blatant plagiarism (and maybe not even then).

I prefer to think that I can look at, say, Kaffe or Classpath to se how they
approach certain issues without worrying that Dalibor or Mark or the FSF will
use the mere fact that I have admitted to doing so in order to argue that
anything I create in the way of core libraries or VM is somehow derived from
their work. I would like that think that I can look at SableVM in the same
way, provided I do just that: look, add the ideas to the broth already
steaming in my head, and forget the details (the last bit comes very easy).
That's something I don't allow myself to do with Sun's published code,
because of the different presumption that applies. (For the record, up until
now am untainted by SableVM, although I did pick up some interesting ideas
from a talk you gave at JVM01 (and for which you won a prize, IIRC)).

All the best,

Chris