harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] generic Harmony_Class_Lib/GNU_Classpath adapter is on JIRA Harmony-192
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:23:30 GMT
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:24:24AM -0800, Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:
> > Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > > Please take a look at bootstrap.c  It would be great if we can do the
> > > final integration in the next 2 days while this code is still fresh in
> > > my mind.
> >
> > Looks reasonable, you just commented out or changed the classes
> > and methods that would not load yet.
> >
> > What's the plan for dealing with the Pointer class? Here are some
> > possibilities that preserve Classpath compatibility:
> >
> > 1. Implement gnu.classpath.Pointer{32,64} in classlib
> > 2. Have jchevm autodetect whether gnu.classpath.Pointer or
> >    java.lang.Pointer is to be used.
> >
> > Either solution is OK with me, but I'd much prefer #1 because it's
> > cleaner code and I'd rather not start adding hacks at this point that
> > move us away from the current common API.
>
> I agree that #1 is the cleanest, easiest technical approach.  The
> difficulty is convincing an attorney that a file in Harmony Class Lib
> called "blah blah GNU blah blah CLASSPATH" has nothing to do with gnu
> or classpath.

We don't have to -- these things have something to do with one another,
namely, we have the files there in that way so we have code that is
compatible, which is a Cool Thing(tm).

> I vote for adding a few lines of code to avoid spending
> hours with an attorney.   How about an algorithm that first checks for
> gnu.classpath.PointerXX and if its not found then looks for
> xxx.yyy.zzz.Pointer class?   I am not happy with putting Pointer
> classes in the java.lang package.  Maybe create a new package called
> kernel_path.  Thoughts?

Then we'd move the "gnu" and "classpath" references into the algorithm.
We're still going to need them. My friend Cliff Schmidt tells me that
the verdict is still out on whether interfaces are copyrightable at all.
My friend Mark Wielaard tells me the GNU Classpath people like working
together with other people and love to see various kinds of
interoperability.

So while I have no idea what the fine-grained legal details are, I have
a strong hunch having some references to "gnu" and "classpath" every now
and then is ok.

LSD