harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: How to deal with this kind of serialization compatibility issue?
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:43:35 GMT
Hi George,

> I wonder what lessons other class library development teams have learned
> in this area ?

I guess that our experience from Wonka can be summed up as "serialization is a
PITA". Most of the time the problem can be solved, you just never know where
the next one will pop up. We advise our cutomers against using serialization
as a way to exchange data between VMs - use XML, use Hessian, use anything
except serialization. That goes for RMI too. I guess it's easier for us to
take this line in an embedded environment than in the context of, say, J2EE.

Good luck,

Chris