harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: any donations expected for awt and swing?
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:27:54 GMT
On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:02:04AM +0100, Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>
> >ourselves in the situation of having more than one implementation of the
> >same APIs (we already saw this happen with 'security' and 'security2'
> >contributions).  This is no bad thing as it allows us to evaluate th
> >

> I personally would be very interested in a Swing implementation which
> runs in text mode (I think I once saw a package named chava which could
> do that) as I think that Harmony will be able to fill the niche of text
> programs without a GUI.

Chris is working on curses peers for GNU Classpath, afaik. Charva is
nice (and has been running on Kaffe since 2002, afair), but it has
certain limitations that make it hard to use it as a drop in replacement
for Swing. For example, mapping some of the Font trickery in Swing to
columns/rows of curses is non-trivial to do correct & fast.

Also note that Charva is licensed under the LGPL license, which is
currently not allowed by the Apache board to be used by any Harmony
component, so you'd have to write it from scratch, or persuade the board
to change the policy.

cheers,
dalibor topic