harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: API with generics
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:14:26 GMT
My approach has been to make the APIs as close to possible as the Java 5
spec and then leave //TODO comments about what needs to be added and what is
needed to fix it or what is preventing completion.

The same condition applies to annotations and methods that take advantage of
return type covariance.

We could consider creating a comment practice to flag specific changes.
Perhaps something like this:

//HARMONY_GENERICS <Type> comment
//HARMONY_ANNOTATION @annotation comment
//HARMONY_COVARIANT_RETURN Type comment

In Eclipse's Java editor you can add special meaning to comments of a
certain format, so this could be taken advantage of there at least.

-Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: karan malhi [mailto:karan.malhi@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:04 PM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: API with generics

Hi,

I might have missed out on it in earlier discussions so please excuse me
for my ignorance. What is the strategy of harmony with regards to
Generics? To be more specific, I am right now implementing the
javax.accessibility.AccessibleStateSet class which has a protected
variable with the following signature:

    protected Vector<AccessibleState> states

My understanding is that currently generics are not supported. What
should I do in this case? Should I just implement it without generics?
Is there a webpage where we are listing api methods/fields which involve
generics to later on update the code?

--
Karan Singh