harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: J2SE 5 Plan / Roadmap
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 01:46:28 GMT
Maybe I didn't read this article right, but my understanding is that in Java
5, char or at least an array of char is considered a UTF-16 sequence:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/Supplementary/

Here's the important quote from this article:

"In the end, the decision was for a tiered approach:
    * Use the primitive type int to represent code points in low-level APIs,
such as the static methods of the Character class.
    * Interpret char sequences in all forms as UTF-16 sequences, and promote
their use in higher-level APIs.
    * Provide APIs to easily convert between various char and code
point-based representations."

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Liang [mailto:richard.liangyx@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 7:34 PM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: J2SE 5 Plan / Roadmap

Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Here's a good link with a summary of some of the new features:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15/
>
> One of the major pieces that I missed is uplifting everything to support
the
> Unicode 4.0 updates; char is now UTF-16 encoded value, etc.

'char' cannot be UTF-16 encoded value :-) As you know, char is 16-bit
value in Java. However, UTF-16 encoding algorithm is:
For characters in range U+0000 - U+FFFF (excluding U+D800 - U+DFFF) just
use the same unsigned 16-bit numeric value as their UTF-16 encoded
value; For example, the UTF-16 encoded value for character '\u4E2D' is
0x4E2D.
For characters in U+10000 - U+10FFFF use a surrogate pair as their
UTF-16 encoded value. For example, the UTF-16 encoded value for
character U+10000 is a 32-bit value 0xD800 0xDC00.

Please refer to "Glossary of Unicode Terms" http://www.unicode.org/glossary/

Also please forgive my prolixity :-)

Harmony

--