harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] splitting kernel in two
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:43:44 GMT
No concerns here, but I do have a somewhat related question. What's the
prescribed development model around the Java code in the kernel? For
example, there are some additionally methods and constructors that were
added to String in Java 5 (e.g. code point methods, StringBuilder
constructor, etc) that I was thinking about addressing. Would I just make
updates against the kernel module, just like any other module? What about
the test cases?

Assuming that's somewhat correct, if my understanding of the "vm-specific"
concepts is correct, then there's no guarantee that any of the kernel-stub
code is used, right? Put another way, can a VM just completely implement the
kernel classes itself?

One of the reasons I ask is because of some of the kernel classes, like
String, have package-private (default) scoped methods that are used in LUNI
by other java.lang classes.

If this is a RTFM question, then feel free to point me back to the VMI
documents with a scolding.

Thanks.
-Nathan