harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: J2SE 5 Plan / Roadmap
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 00:18:36 GMT
This can probably be split up into a couple pieces; here are some of my
thoughts.

* JLS3 bytecode support - Can the current VM load JLS3 class files? If not,
what's missing (besides the major.minor version header)? Can some features
be enabled/uplifted to allow APIs to move forward? Since generics are a
compile-time feature, can code begin using generics by just allowing the
JLS3 major.minor version? In any case, this probably breaks down into a
couple topics: generics, annotations, enums, return-value-covariance and
others.

* Java 5 APIs [NEW] - Most of the brand-new APIs have been identified
(java.lang.management, etc) and some are already being checked in. It seems
like there's already a undocumented process here, which is to uplift and
build any APIs to the Java 5 specification and leaving out any Java
5-specific language features, like generification, enums and annotations.

* Java 5 APIs [Generfication] - Once we can allow code with generics to be
compiled and loaded, then we could begin a phase of uplifting all of the
newly generified APIs (Collections, etc).

* Java 5 APIs [Annotations] - I suspect, but could be wrong, that
Annotations support will be more difficult to implement in the VM, as there
is some runtime support. When this is available, another phase can be
initiated to uplift all of the APIs with the appropriate Annotations
(@deprecated, @override, etc).

I'm not too familiar with the JAPI tool, but if Stuart can get the Harmony
reports to run against the Java 5 specifications, I this would provide an
enormous boost in the arena of new Java 5 APIs. Does JAPI support JLS3
features, like generics, annotations and enum checking?

Those are some of my thoughts at least.

BTW: JLS3 == Java Language Specification, 3rd Edition

-Nathan