harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: shared code requirements
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:28:04 GMT
Mikhail Loenko <mloenko <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The reason I'm asking is that there is a chance that we do not have to
> implement some parts. For example, Jason Hunter mentioned [1] that
> swing goes as
> a shared code.
>
> So probably we do not have to implement swing and maybe something else.
>
> Does anybody know what is the exact list of things which we will have to
> take from Sun to be Java[tm]?

Back in the old days, Sun and the JCP used to force you to include some
proprietary code in a Java implementation. That's why no open source and
certified implementations were possible up to last year.

That's no longer the case, and no code is forcibly bundled any more. The code
that was forcibly bundled was not open source, and therefore unaccaptable for
Harmony anyway. In other words, we'll have to implement everything.

cheers,
dalibor topic