harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:52:09 GMT
On 27/02/06, Jean-frederic Clere <jfclere@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:

> >>So you have to create a apr.IA32 class lib, don't you?
> >>

> >Well, that's what I was thinking - though I'm not so sure that $arch
> >should be something that specific.
> >
> >Initially at least I don't think we should be making a choice between
> >using apr.IA32 and writing platform specific natives.  I think we
> >should continue with what we have until such a time that apr becomes
> >the better choice.
> >
> I am not sure that is the best idea.
> Apr prevents losing time writing code twice (or #defining everywhere)
> and that is a lot of work to APRized a project in late state.
> Starting with apr asap probably will break everything for some time but
> will spare a lot of time in future...
> The biggest problem  is to have a graphical library that works with apr
> or that is written using apr.

I wasn't saying don't start an apr.$arch platform just don't make that
the only option.  It should be developed in parallel.  I don't see why
it should be any more difficult than developing the win.IA32 and
linux.IA32 in parallel has been?

> >  So what we'd need now is a mechanism to override
> >the automatic choice of "platform".  I wouldn't be too surprised if
> >someone decided to create "platforms" for the other two (?) choices of
> >windows implementation - cygwin native and cygwin w/o cygwin.dll.
> >
> ??? native windoze and cygwin, or do I miss something?

That should be sufficient, but I was making the additional distinction between
windows native built with nmake/MSVC (as we have today) and windows
native built with cygwin ("gmake/gcc -mno-cygwin").  These are
sufficiently different that if anyone wanted them today they'd
probably treat them as separate platforms until we get the natives in
a better state.

> >It might be useful to develop some tests to prove the natives for
> >platforms that don't yet have VM support.

Regards,
 Mark.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.