harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Strigun <vstri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: running eclipse on Harmony classlib
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:00:30 GMT
> Vladimir Strigun wrote:
> > I'm able to run eclipse on Harmony classlib + J9 VM. To run Eclipse
> > you need to make following steps:
> >
> > - download xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar and serializer.jar
> > from xml.apache.org and put it to deploy/jre/lib/boot/
> >
> > - add next line to jre/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties :
> > bootclasspath.38=serializer.jar
> >
> > - download and build Intel contribution of beans, math and regex
> > packages ( http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-39 )
> >
> > - copy beans.jar, math.jar, regex.jar to deploy/jre/lib/boot/ folder
> >
> > - launch deploy/jre/bin/java -cp $ECLIPSE_HOME/startup.jar
> > org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
> >
> > I've tried to create simple Java project and Hello class inside.
> > Everything works fine without any exception or problems.
>
> That is excellent!
>
> > Tim, in your movie I have seen new type for installed JRE in Eclipse:
> > "Apache Harmony VM". Do you have Eclipse plugin for Harmony already?
>
> Yes, I just need to get the appropriate "ok"'s from IBM and then
> (assuming I do get them) I shall bring it to the project.

Just interesing: do you used standard eclipse VM runner and VM
debugger (I mean classes
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMRunner and
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMDebugger) in your plugin
? What types of VM's your plugin is supported? Looks like that IBM VM
works well with standard runner and debugger, but if we want to
support other Harmony VM's then  I think it will be necessary to make
own implementation of mentioned classes inside plugin. In this case,
runner and debugger can apply VM-specific options, for instance for
IBM VM and Jchevm.

Thanks,
Vladimir Strigun,
Intel Middleware Products Division