harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Felter <wes...@felter.org>
Subject Re: Increasing Java Startup Performance
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:09:54 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/m/marnold/arnold-welc-rajan.final.pdf
>
> which implements a very interesting trick to speed up java startup
> performance: save the hotspot information in a repository (at JVM shut
> down) so that the JIT doesn't have to wait when it starts until it knows
> what is a hotspot to start compiling it. the performance improvements
> are not likely to change the perception that java is awefully slow to
> start up on the desktop, but it's a clever idea.

I'm surprised there's been so little discussion of the Java Executable
File Format (JEFF) (unfortunately, the Web site for it seems to have
disappeared), which should reduce memory usage and cold-start time by
allowing core classes to be mmap'ed. This would be mostly orthogonal to
the above paper.

Wes Felter - wesley@felter.org