harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Arzhan Kinzhalin" <lil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Increasing Java Startup Performance
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:05:10 GMT
On 2/16/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/m/marnold/arnold-welc-rajan.final.pdf
>
> which implements a very interesting trick to speed up java startup
> performance: save the hotspot information in a repository (at JVM shut
> down) so that the JIT doesn't have to wait when it starts until it knows
> what is a hotspot to start compiling it. the performance improvements
> are not likely to change the perception that java is awefully slow to
> start up on the desktop, but it's a clever idea.

Stefano,

this is very interesting. A little bit too advanced as of right now though. :)

I guess it makes sense to collect interesting papers and attend them
later on when the time comes. Perhaps, Wiki is the right place? I've
seen papers there, but they mostly high-level. "Idea stash" for that
purpose could be worth creating.

--
Arzhan
Intel Middleware Platform Division