harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Fernando Cassia" <fernando.cas...@gmail.com>
Subject re: I welcome J2SE 6's faster-splash.... re: Java speed-up
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:24:40 GMT
Stefano,

Are you a Mac user, per chance? Because you sound like one...
See below:

On 2/17/06, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > This can't be a Java issue - it must be the
> > design-by-committee-for-all-platforms-ever-to-be problem...
> >
> > I would love to see a good sound API in the style of SWT.
>
> It's called "quicktime for java" and has been there for years :-)
> --
> Stefano.

Oh, that contraption? Last time I looked, it relied on
Quicktime-for-target-OS being available as well.
Try to find a Quicktime for Linux or Quicktime for Solaris....

I might as well use jffmpeg which interfaces to FFMPEG, which IS available
for almost every OS on Earth, unlike Steve's closed little toy.

SourceForge.net: Project Info - JMF wrapper for
ffmpeg<http://sourceforge.net/projects/jffmpeg/>
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jffmpeg/

Very nice, JMF needs a refresher (an understatement) and it is nice to open
source implementations picking up on it (especially since Apple has no idea
what they are doing to QuickTime for Java).
>From the site:
This is a Java wrapper for ffmpeg compression library. It exports ffmpeg
codecs functions as a JMF (Java Media Framework) codec. You can use this
codec from JMStudio and then you'll have a video player able to play mpeg1,
h263, mpeg4 (divX), etc. streams.
^quoted from http://www.walking-productions.com/slop/000609.html

FC