harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:53:30 GMT
> As I understood people in this and similar threads tend to be compatible
> with the Spec rather then with RI (unless we prove that being incompatible
> with RI breaks some existing implementation)
>
> I'm trying to oppose that, I'd to be compatible with RI when in doubt.

Well, actually you are right. I disagree just to simply copy all the
existing bugs... And as I rememeber I'm not along :-). The main idea
is to follow the guidelines Paulex proposed, i.e. to be reasonable.
Lemme remember Paulex's rules:

>1. we should comply with spec
>2. if RI is contradict with spec, and RI is not logical(sometimes it is
>very obvious, you know what I mean), we comply with RI; else, we discuss
>it case by case.
>3. if spec is not so clear, we should comply with RI
>4. if some application failing on that different behavior, we discuss it
>case by case

I believe this approach will give better results: keepping us
compatible with the existing applications and provide more consistent
implementation where possible. Note that according to the rules above
we are not mandatory follow to the spec.

Btw, releasing new JDK SUN updates some existing methods, sometimes
changing not only internal implementation, but even some behavior. I
suppose they don't run all existing applications to make sure nothing
is broken :-).  I don't know how this process is organized, however I
would expect some kind of CCB (Change Control Board) which decide if
it's safe change or not. I suppose our mailing list can act in a very
similar manner.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division