harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:56:50 GMT
On 2/20/06, Gerry Steele <gerry.steele@gmail.com> wrote:
> It might also be worth nothing that if you are licensed to use the
> tck, there is an appeal process, so it may be possible to make sun
> accept deviation from the spec or unreasonable claims in the spec, on
> their part, on a case by case basis.
>
> But i suppose the real test is how well it runs existing applications.
> If a user finds it more difficult to run their app than with the Sun
> JVM, then they simply wont use it.

In general, of course. If I ran my application and found all the
buttons are in the mess on the wrong places, scrollers don't scroll,
etc... Yeah, most likely I just stop trying. In the other hand, if I
have one exception with adequate message which I recognize as a
problem in my code... I just say 'great thanks' to those who helped me
to find it :-)
Again, it should not be hundreds of exceptions! It may be 1 exception
per 100 applications... Something like that... Otherwise we will
identify the problem when testing and decide what to do. Sorry if I
very optimistic :-)

Probably we can have some place where everyone will be able to record
identified deviations? I'm not sure that is really makes sense 'cause
I can't imagine how to handle such list for the practical value.
Obviously all serious deviations have to be discussed here.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division