harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:06:06 GMT
> Anton
>
> still no answer to: What is the goal of that firm spec compatibility?
>
> Are you sure that if some usage scenario does not make sense for you
> and for all progressive people in the world then there no application working
> this way?
>
> Think of the following: we release Harmony, people will try their apps
> and find out
> that they do not work. What will the people do?

Absolutely agree with the concern above. I mean that some of ther
potential users just stop using Harmony and get something which
'properly' works. However I believe:
 1. We will test Harmony on many applications and will be able to
identify the major part of the potential problems
 2. People will send us bug report in the same manner they do for
Sun's implementation.

I completely agree that we must be very careful decising what is bug
and what is not (actually, it was my original post :-) ).
I just added that we should try to be spec-compatible when possible.
Particulary talking about exceptions: I hope that there should not be
too many applications which are relevant to what kind of
RuntimeException JRE produces (NPE or IllegalArgumentException) in
those cases when Sun's impl doesn't satisfy its spec. Therefore to be
spec-compatible here should not cause a problem.

[snip]
> Sure, we do not have to copy obvious bugs like SIGSEGVs, but we still have to
> carefully work with all the cases when we can potentially break existing
> applications.

+2 (with both hands :-) )

--
Anton Avtamonov,