harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:29:33 GMT
On 2/19/06, karan malhi <karan.malhi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
> > Well, I don't really know if Sun would do that.  There is an expert
> > group that Sun has to deal with...
> >
> > But if it did happen, yes, we'd have to fix our code.
> >
> I agree. Whatever experience I've had with java till now, I have found
> that Sun mainly deprecates a method and provides a replacement, instead
> of changing the spec for that method after the spec has been released.
> So, if Sun decides to deprecate a method, it will still not break
> harmony. I still feel our code should be spec compatible and not bug
> compatible with Sun's impl. As a developer, I would look at the API docs
> and then write the code. So, if our impl is compatible with the API
> docs, won't that make a case for using harmony instead of  a buggy impl :)

Yeah! Very optimistic! I agree :-)
In practical terms developers hate when spec contradicts to the real
behavior so for the developers of the new applications it would be
fantastic to have such implementation. However we have to run all
existing applications first, and, therefore, have to be as closer to
Sun's impl as possible... If I got it right we decided to discuss all
not-trivial cases and I believe that is right approach.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division