harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Avtamonov" <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:20:34 GMT

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > What is the goal of spec-compatibility for exceptions?
> >
> > 1. Existing applications that work well on Sun's Java might fail on Harmony.
>
> Right - this is a problem.  People will say that we're broken.  It's not
> a easy conversation to have with users who don't care about license,
> just want a good JRE to work with, so then delete our implementation.

Sounds reasonable.
However I hope the expected deviations for Sun's impl (if we talk
about exceptions) should not be so dramatic... I hope we will be
basing on both spec, impl behavior and common sense.
For instance, there is javax.swing.GrayFilter class which constructor
takes 'percentage of gray' parameter (a value in a [0-100] range).
Spec doesn't state there should be IllegalArgumentException if the
value is out of range, but both Sun's impl and common sense tell us it
should be.
Another case is if spec states IllegalArgumentException, but impl
produces NPE... I don't believe there are applications which are
really care about the particular kind of RuntimeException :-). So in
this case I would follow the spec.
Really, IllegalArgumentException is always a guard statement for
definitely wrong usage of API (like setting percentage out of [0-100]
range). Not too many people should break such 'common sense' idea.
Besides, I hope we will have not too many places when Sun's impl and
spec differ.

> > 2. Sun, once it discovers the bug, will most likely change the spec
> > rather then impl,
> > and we will have to return and fix our code
>
> Well, I don't really know if Sun would do that.  There is an expert
> group that Sun has to deal with...

I think we should try to be spec-compatible when possible. If the spec
is changed - we will change the implementation.

Actually, for the time being I don't know any applications which are
broken because of using IllegalArgumentException instead of NPE or
vise versa. Let's see if we have such and then decide. Before that,
spec-compatibility looks more preferrable for me...

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division