harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Anton Avtamonov <anton.avtamo...@gmail.com>
Subject Location for API extensions
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:52:49 GMT
We have agreed on org.apache.harmony package as a root package for
private implementation stuff. As I understand the major part of the
functionality located there is some kind of utility stuff used from
different places (packages) and therefore moved out from the API tree.
Besides, it also can contain some 'default' implementations when
public API represents interfaces only.

It looks for me that in general we can divide all such stuff into 2 categories:
 - utility methods appeared due to package visibility or other
reasons, 'default' implementations, etc. This category (in general) is
not likely to be interesting for the users of harmony platform
 - classes, which are referenced from API, but have stand-alone value,
which is not accessible from public API. Such classes, in fact, extend
the standard API and may be useful for the harmony users. I believe
such functionality exists in almost any module; their authors know
what is valuable.

What I propose is to identify such functionlity and separate it from
the 'hidden' utility stuff. Let's have some additinal root
(harmony.extensions say) specially intended to keep 'java-harmony'
improvements. What do you think?

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division