harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:06:13 GMT

>>The cygwin.dll acts as an emulation layer for all those POSIX functions
>>that
>>Windows doesn't have. If a program doesn't call any of the functions
>>provided
>>by cygwin.dll, then, this library is not needed and, I guess, it's not
>>even loaded.
>>
>>GCC, when used on Cygwin, produces always a native executable file for
>>Windows, and
>>the extension is .exe.
>>

>Actually you have a choice now. Cygwin gcc can build for cygwin.dll
>or, with "gcc -mno-cygwin", for the native msvcrt.dll.  The latter
>does not require cygwin.dll.
>
>Regards,
> Mark.

Hi Mark,

 thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to build JCHEVM with that option
enabled.

 I figure that if I try to build a program that makes use of POSIX
functions,
 with "gcc -mno-cygwin", there are two options:

 1. Those functions will be embedded in the executable file (.exe)
 2. GCC refuses to build

Enrico