harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-frederic Clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:32:54 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:

>On 27/02/06, Jean-frederic Clere <jfclere@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>

>>>But that's way different than APR for the class lib portlib.
>>>

>>So you have to create a apr.IA32 class lib, don't you?
>>

>Well, that's what I was thinking - though I'm not so sure that $arch
>should be something that specific.
>
>Initially at least I don't think we should be making a choice between
>using apr.IA32 and writing platform specific natives.  I think we
>should continue with what we have until such a time that apr becomes
>the better choice.

I am not sure that is the best idea.
Apr prevents losing time writing code twice (or #defining everywhere)
and that is a lot of work to APRized a project in late state.
Starting with apr asap probably will break everything for some time but
will spare a lot of time in future...
The biggest problem  is to have a graphical library that works with apr
or that is written using apr.

>  So what we'd need now is a mechanism to override
>the automatic choice of "platform".  I wouldn't be too surprised if
>someone decided to create "platforms" for the other two (?) choices of
>windows implementation - cygwin native and cygwin w/o cygwin.dll.

??? native windoze and cygwin, or do I miss something?