harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:41:31 GMT

Gerry Steele wrote:
> It might also be worth nothing that if you are licensed to use the
> tck, there is an appeal process, so it may be possible to make sun
> accept deviation from the spec or unreasonable claims in the spec, on
> their part, on a case by case basis.

Sure, but that's a different issue.   We've experienced that w/ J2EE,
and it was generally a reasonable and decent process.

However, in the end, it will be all about users running applications.

> But i suppose the real test is how well it runs existing applications.
> If a user finds it more difficult to run their app than with the Sun
> JVM, then they simply wont use it.

Yes!

> Also, has much thought been given to the GUI components of the spec?
> Can harmony/classpath replicate a compatible system with regards to
> the current line of development?

That's the goal.  Of course, if Sun happened to donate an implementation
, we'd be better off :)

geir