harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:53:42 GMT
Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Enrico Migliore wrote:
>>> The class library native code uses the Harmony portlib to access much of
>>> the OS-specific code covered in APR.  Rather than rewrite those natives,
>>> and loose the additional characteristics of the portlib, it would make
>>> more sense to implement the portlib on APR if that were desirable.
>> I think I'm missing something: last week, we all agreed on "adopting"
>> the APR library for the native
>> stuff, except for the windowing subsystem. That means to me that all
>> the functions of JCHEVM and the Harmony,
>> that need to access an OS/platform service (filesystem, network, etc.)
>> should call the APR library.
> I think you two are in heated agreement. There are two different
> things: jchevm and classlib. For jchevm, it makes sense to port it
> to APR directly. For classlib (i.e., classlib's native code), it makes
> sense to port classlib's "portlib" layer to APR, rather than discarding
> portlib.

I'd hope that jchevm would consider using the portlib too; I have good
reason to believe that the portlib is well suited to the needs of a VM
implementation ;-)

It will be interesting to see how Artem's experiments with APR work-out.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

View raw message