harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:59:28 GMT
Hi Tim,

>Enrico Migliore wrote:
>

>>Archie, Geir and Stefano,
>>
>> could you please take a look at the following assertion and correct it
>>if  it's wrong:
>>
>>It's worth to remember, that the goal of porting JCHEVM to Cygwin/Windows,
>>is to enable us, and the people interested, to have a development
>>environment on Windows,
>>in order to start working on the APR.
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean by 'in order to start working on the APR'?

I meant, modifying JCHEVM in order to call, where applicable, the APR
functions.

>>In principle, after adapting jchevm to the APR, jchevm will be buildable
>>with:
>>
>>   1. GCC native - build on Linux an executable for Linux
>>   2. GCC cross native - build on Linux an executable for Windows
>>(without Cygwin)
>>   3. MSVC native - build on Windows an executable for Windows
>>
>>The same thing applies to the Harmony Classlib
>>

>The class library native code uses the Harmony portlib to access much of
>the OS-specific code covered in APR.  Rather than rewrite those natives,
>and loose the additional characteristics of the portlib, it would make
>more sense to implement the portlib on APR if that were desirable.

I think I'm missing something: last week, we all agreed on "adopting"
the APR library for the native
stuff, except for the windowing subsystem. That means to me that all the
functions of JCHEVM and the Harmony,
that need to access an OS/platform service (filesystem, network, etc.)
should call the APR library.

>Regards,
>Tim

Enrico