harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bug-to-bug compatibility - another issue
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:59:59 GMT
Mikhail

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Paulex,
>
> look at the class description in the spec:
>
> "A decoder should always be used by making the following sequence of
> method invocations, hereinafter referred to as a decoding operation:
>
> Reset the decoder via the reset method, unless it has not been used before;
>
> Invoke the decode method zero or more times, as long as additional
> input may be available, passing false for the endOfInput argument and
> filling the input buffer and flushing the output buffer between
> invocations;
>
> Invoke the decode method one final time, passing true for the
> endOfInput argument; and then
>
> Invoke the flush method so that the decoder can flush any internal
> state to the output buffer. "

As I said, what I paste at first is just ONE Example that RI's
interesting internal status. I happened to have another simple JUnit
test to show RI's contradiction on the paragraph above

    public void testFlushAfterDecode() throws Exception {
        ByteBuffer in = ByteBuffer.wrap(new byte[] { 98, 98 });
        CharsetDecoder decoder = Charset.forName("utf-8").newDecoder();
        CharBuffer out = decoder.decode(in);
        try {
            decoder.flush(out);
            fail("should illegal");
        } catch (IllegalStateException e) {
        }
    }

RI(JDK 5.0/1.4.2) failed to pass this test because the flush(out) is
permitted, but from the spec above, the decoder.decode(in) should invoke
flush method at last, and the current status is FLUSHED, so that the
flush(out) after that should throw IllegalStateException. Should Harmony
be same with RI again?

> So RI works according to class description. It might be a misprint in the
> method description you have cited. I'd rather be compatible with RI
>
> Thanks,
> Mikhail

I'm afraid I have different view on this,
First, the method spec is not contradict with class's, the
flush(CharBuffer) should be invoked in the decode(ByteBuffer), that's
right, and it also can be invoked just after reset(), any logic problem?
Second, how can we judge JavaDoc is misprinted? just by RI's behavior?