harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.String.replaceFirst from IBM VM throws NPE
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:49:36 GMT
Hi Alexey,

ok, Ive recreated your problem using the latest snapshot and VME.
Essentially the code at
modules/kernel/src/main/java/java/lang/String.java is the same as that
in the VME kernel.jar. Looking in there (these calls can also be seen if
the test is run within a debugger), we see that the replaceFirst(String,
String) implementation is:

public String replaceFirst(String expr, String substitute) {
    return Pattern.compile(expr).matcher(this).replaceFirst(substitute);
}

Unfortunately the implementation of Pattern at
modules/regex/src/main/java/java/util/regex/Pattern.java is only a stub
(as HARMONY-39 has not yet been accepted into the Harmony SVN
repository) and as such just returns null. Thus when we try to
dereference the return from Pattern.compile(expr) we receive a
NullPointerException. Once the regex in HARMONY-39 is moved into SVN
this should go away.

As a sideline, I think we should be able to move String.java out of
kernel entirely anyway. We already have an implementation at
modules/kernel/src/main/java/java/lang/String.java, and the only VM
specific code in String is the intern() method. This method could simply
be redirected to call VM.intern(String), a class which is within kernel,
and then String.java can be moved into LUNI. It also means that the VM
writer(s) need not implement the rest of the String class unnecessarily.
Sound good?

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited