harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] APR issues
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:37:22 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Enrico Migliore wrote:
>> Archie, Geir and Stefano,
>>
>>  could you please take a look at the following assertion and correct it
>> if  it's wrong:
>>
>> It's worth to remember, that the goal of porting JCHEVM to Cygwin/Windows,
>> is to enable us, and the people interested, to have a development
>> environment on Windows,
>> in order to start working on the APR.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'in order to start working on the APR'?

I think I understand - right now, he can't compile.

Cygwin/WIndows will be good, as will the toolchain we are currently
using for the classlibrary, known as WTHWOTM "Whatever The Heck Was On
Tim's Machine"

>> In principle, after adapting jchevm to the APR, jchevm will be buildable
>> with:
>>
>>    1. GCC native - build on Linux an executable for Linux
>>    2. GCC cross native - build on Linux an executable for Windows
>> (without Cygwin)
>>    3. MSVC native - build on Windows an executable for Windows
>>
>> The same thing applies to the Harmony Classlib
>
> The class library native code uses the Harmony portlib to access much of
> the OS-specific code covered in APR.  Rather than rewrite those natives,
> and loose the additional characteristics of the portlib, it would make
> more sense to implement the portlib on APR if that were desirable.

I can't begin to express how strongly I support this.

Use APR as a portability assist - we have the portlib interface that
serves the needs of the VM, and you can implement it quickly
(hopefully?) using APR.  If not, then we have a good opportunity to
offer enhancements to APR.

geir