harmony-dev mailing list archives

From karan malhi <karan.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:56:34 GMT

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Well, I don't really know if Sun would do that.  There is an expert
> group that Sun has to deal with...
>
> But if it did happen, yes, we'd have to fix our code.

I agree. Whatever experience I've had with java till now, I have found
that Sun mainly deprecates a method and provides a replacement, instead
of changing the spec for that method after the spec has been released.
So, if Sun decides to deprecate a method, it will still not break
harmony. I still feel our code should be spec compatible and not bug
compatible with Sun's impl. As a developer, I would look at the API docs
and then write the code. So, if our impl is compatible with the API
docs, won't that make a case for using harmony instead of  a buggy impl :)

--
Karan Singh