harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to be bug compatible? (was: Re: newbie to project-where to start from)
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:02:18 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> What is the goal of spec-compatibility for exceptions?
>
> 1. Existing applications that work well on Sun's Java might fail on Harmony.

Right - this is a problem.  People will say that we're broken.  It's not
a easy conversation to have with users who don't care about license,
just want a good JRE to work with, so then delete our implementation.

> 2. Sun, once it discovers the bug, will most likely change the spec
> rather then impl,
> and we will have to return and fix our code

Well, I don't really know if Sun would do that.  There is an expert
group that Sun has to deal with...

But if it did happen, yes, we'd have to fix our code.

geir