harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderax...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I welcome J2SE 6's faster-splash.... re: Java speed-up
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:25:44 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> But look at the bright side: there are probably many other really
> simple yet useful things that can be done to make java more useful on
> the desktop and this will be a marketing win for alternative JVMs.

That would be to be able to write small java programs which start fast,
and which does not have a massive JVM overhead for each.

Basically pull the same trick that Microsoft did with their JVM - have
the preloaded Java environment being able to spin off new instances
fast, giving the end user the impression that "this is just another
little program".

Personally I think it would be great for Linux desktops and utilities.

View raw message