harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Ei...@Jarnbjo.de>
Subject Re: I welcome J2SE 6's faster-splash.... re: Java speed-up
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:26:23 GMT
Fernando Cassia wrote:

>I'm still scratching my bald head thinking why hasn't Google embraced
>desktop
>java yet. Google Talk would be a killer app written in Swing / 100% Pure
>Java.

It's never stupid to stay realistic. There is no JavaSound
implementation giving you enough control of e.g. the sound card latency
to allow a usable telephone application to be implemented.

>H*ck, there's even a pure-java mpeg4 implementation....

Which doesn't work for me. A few still frames are being shown and
updated every few seconds and then the player hangs. Apart from that,
due to other problems with JavaSound is it not possible to implement
reasonable quality video players in Java. The JavaSound API has
functions to read the current position of the audio playback, to sync
the video accordingly, but the accuracy and correctness of this function
makes it unusable.

Tor