harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] build / test system
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:40:31 GMT

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> I need sync. with repository once a day, for example, in the morning to get
> yours and Tim's last updates :-) . And during a working day I may do dozen
> workspace builds. So each build will verify whether used jar files (I think
> we will have a number of them) are up to date or not. Right? Is this
> necessary?

Well, generally no, because dependencies won't change that fast.  When
working with systems like this in the past, I would always run in
offline mode until something broke - an then I would let it sync.

Overall, this was far more time efficient.

> Also there is possibility that the next version of some jar will break the
> build, for example, a bug may be introduced in a new jar's version and
> Harmony tests will start to fail. Because a jar'a update is done "secretly"
> (I don't like this) by the build script nobody will notice that. So one day
> some of us will have to solve a mystery puzzle: why the last minor update
> breaks everything :-)

it isn't done secretly - we specify the exact version of whatever jar
we're getting.  So nothing changes w/o our explicit change.