harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] build / test system
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:17:12 GMT

George Harley wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> If folks find the ibiblio site slow and the latest versions of what we
> need are not available, is there any merit in an Apache Harmony
> repository being set up that would contain whatever binaries are
> required by developers (e.g. eclipse compiler jars, BC provider jar, etc) ?

Of course. We've thought about this before for other projects, like
Geronimo.

The problem is how such availability is interpreted - are we
redistributing (i.e. publishing) software?  Generally, the ASF only
makes external software available when it's part of a program that uses it.

This is different if we have a repository of "naked jars" that we make
available for any and all comers.  I've been around this tree before w/
Geronimo.  I'll revisit for us and see where people stand.

geir

> Best regards,
> George
> IBM United Kingdom Limited
>

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>

>> George Harley wrote:
>>> Hi Stepan,
>>>
>>> And if redistributing the Eclipse jars was an issue then we could
>>> simply make use of the Maven jar repository at ibiblio.org. The jars
>>> necessary for using the Eclipse compiler can be obtained from there
>>> without the need to download the entire Eclipse platform (see
>>> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/eclipse/jars/jdtcore-3.1.0.jar) which
>>> reduces the "pain" considerably.
>>
>> Well, ibiblio is a pain - it can be slow to the point of timeout,
>> which is really no fun.  Been there, raged at that.
>>

>>> Ant build scripts could simply make use of the "get" task (with the
>>> "usetimestamp" option to avoid unnecessary downloading) to get the
>>> jdtcore-3.1.0.jar and then use "unzip" to extract the
>>> jdtCompilerAdapter.jar that is contained in there. The modified