harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] native method API for _jc_new_intern_string -- do you plan to add to _jc_ilib_entry table?
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:51:29 GMT
Hi Weldon,

Weldon Washburn wrote:
> Archie,
> I am working on kernel_path String.java.
The only VM specific method in String currently is intern. However,
inclusion of this method in the kernel forces the VM vendor to implement
the rest of the String class, which has no further VM specific code.

Can we propose to move String out of kernel and into LUNI, and reroute
Strings intern call through an intern method the VM class in kernel?
This was mentioned in a JIRA comment made by Tim a couple of weeks ago:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200601.mbox/%3c1773406474.1138708234190.JavaMail.jira@ajax.apache.org%3e

So the String implementation will be held in LUNI, and its intern method
will just make a direct call to VM.intern(String), which is in the
kernel. This means that a VM vendor only needs to produce the intern
method (in VM.java), and not the rest of the String class, cutting down
the kernel size and the resulting workload for the VM vendor.

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited