harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] bouncy castle
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:05:25 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> IMHO
> 1) Might make sense for the second release :)
>
> 2) The only problem I see here - BC contains classes that are not necessary
> for us. So, our repository will contain redundant files

Not necessarily - we'd just take what we needed, not the whole thing.

> 3) It might be manufacturing our own UNsigned JAR from their JAR. If we do not
> modify sources in #2 then I do not see big legal difference. Though I'm not an
> expert in the legal area.

There is no legal issue - lets just focus on what makes
project-management / engineering sense.

BTW, I didn't mean "source" really - I mean as them as the source of the
code for our JAR.  Sorry.

With this, the problem is that we'd be redistributing software that
isn't released by anyone (we wouldn't call it "bcprov") as a unit.

Anything that we create and distribute (and we'd be creating this)
should be reproducible from our SVN, becuase

a) it's reproducible if there is a question

b) the project will have oversight on what it's releasing - when we
[eventually] say "This is Apache Harmony", we want to be sure that
everything that isn't just a repurposed dependency is something we can
track the origin of...

> 4.1) extract sources required to verify signature in the main BC JAR and
> redistribute BC.JAR as is
> 4.2) develop sources required to verify signature in the main BC JAR and
> redistribute BC.JAR as is

Hm.  That's interesting.  What does this really mean?

> 4.3) #2 but take only necessary classes

Yes, it was always intended to just take the minimum amount necessary.