harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: CLA issues Was: java.sql.*
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:24:03 GMT
I think the best thing to do here is consult a German lawyer, or some
legal resource that has a clue about open source licensing.  We aren't
going to be able to answer any of this here in a definitive way.

I will again note that for contributions made here, at the ASF, we do
not ask for copyright transfer, but simply a license to the work.  (That
you have agreed to.)

I would further argue that if the author must retain right to revoke the
license or have control over derivative works, then open source is
impossible in Germany.

Given that there is plenty of open-source activity in Germany - and
serious efforts - I think that we're misunderstanding something
fundamental about German copyright law.

geir