harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:09:43 GMT

Mladen Turk wrote:

> So at the end of the day, you have a simple question:
> Is Harmony a way to give a JVM to the GNU/Classpath,
> or is a Harmony a project that will some day have option
> to choose between different 'classpath' libraries.
> If it's the first, the entire thing has nothing to do
> with ASF, and if it's a second, then I don't understand why
> all the fuzz about a different perspective proposals.

Harmony is going to create a full, certified implementation of J2SE.
Right now, we're on our way to having a JVM and a class library.  Great.

Many of us are also interested in ensuring that stuff is reusable.  If
we have a great VM that people - on their own - wish to take and use
with Classpath, I say more power to them.  Similarly, if someone wishes
to take our classlibrary and use it with Kaffe, have at it.

We want ubiquitous, open Java, and interchangeable parts is a step in
that direction.

Now lets get back to APR...

geir