harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:16:24 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Enrico Migliore wrote:
>>
>> I took a look at the documentation of the APR project:
>  > 1. APR doesn't cover is the Windowing subsystem
>
> Sure, APR is something POSIX is meant to be.
>
>  > 2. An APR port to the ARM embedded platform doesn't exist
>
> If someone wishes to build a GNU/Classpath like system
> under Apache license, with APR instead POSIX as OS
> abstraction layer (or any other), will you object?
>
> I think this is the ultimate question of the entire thread.
> Seems to me that when ever someone says something in the
> direction of replacing GNU/Classpath with something else,
> the voices are up.
>
>  From ground up I'm opposed to this artificial synergy of
> ASF and GNU code, and until it gets resolved the Harmony
> project will never become a true ASF project.
>
> The reason is pretty simple, we are two different communities,
> and just like in the real world, it's hard to merge the
> things with different views.
>
> So at the end of the day, you have a simple question:
> Is Harmony a way to give a JVM to the GNU/Classpath,
> or is a Harmony a project that will some day have option
> to choose between different 'classpath' libraries.
> If it's the first, the entire thing has nothing to do
> with ASF, and if it's a second, then I don't understand why
> all the fuzz about a different perspective proposals.

Mladen,

keep your political/philosophical allergies out of here, please, there
is already enough to do without having to dissipate the negative energy
that you throw in the mix.

Enrico was airing his point of view, which I respected even when it
disagreed with mine, and the discussion was purely technical, as it
should be.

Licensing policies are *NOT* something that we talk about and discuss
overhere, unless they deal with your ability to participate in the
development.

If you disagree with the ASF licensing policies, I will be very glad to
listen to you with my ASF director hat on and even voice your concerns
in the appropriate places, but not here and not with that tone.

--
Stefano.