harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Ei...@Jarnbjo.de>
Subject JavaSound Was: java.sql.*
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:08:20 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Lets discuss that here. :)  I didn't mean to ignore you - but two mail
> machines were hard to follow.  I'm ready to join them into one, and
> hopefully I'll stop dropping the ball :)

Ok, here are a snippet from the mail I sent you:

(Win32 partial implementation of JavaSound):
http://jarnbjo.de/HJavaSound.zip

Installation is quite simple, just copy the following files to
jre\lib\ext: dist/sound.jar, dist/vorbis-spi.jar
and the following files to some directory in the dll path (e.g.
jre\bin\default): dist/sound.dll

The ant build file will build the HJavaSound Java source code and the C
source using Borland's CBuilderX. I know it's not pretty, using hard
coded paths etc., but it was just a quick hack to simplify the build
process. The source code for the SPI and player are included in the
vorbis-spi and spiplayer directories, for which no build files are
included. Hope you don't mind that I already chose to put implementation
specific classes in the org.apache.harmony.sound.sampled package.

Ogg/Vorbis files should now play with "java -jar dist/spiplayer.jar
<filename>".

The Vorbis SPI for JavaSound and the SpiPlayer itself are actually parts
of my project J-Ogg (ww.j-ogg.de), which is already released under an
Apache-style license
(http://www.j-ogg.de/core/main?/download-libraries.html).

Another issue with this is of course that the current VMs working with
Harmony are not able to use Java 5 class files and implementing
JavaSound for 1.4 and later extending it for Java 5 would be at least
some unnecessary work. Are there any current plans for extending the VMs
for Java 5 code?

> Which code, and what were the terms of the NDA?  The CLA is fairly
> lightwieght.

Good questions, I honestly don't know. Working as a Java developer, I
now and then need to trace into the original source code or take a look
or two at the API implementation to realize why something is not working
as I expect. As far as I can remember, I have not done this with Sun's
JavaSound implementation. I don't have the NDA anymore, or am at least
not able to find it, having moved around several times the last ten
years. For working on a JavaSound implementation, it is probably
irrelevant anyway, as JavaSound was not introduced until Java 1.3 and
ought not to be covered by any agreement in Sun's NDA.

Tor