harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:29:33 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
<snip>
> therefore, my suggestion is: instead of hooking our native stuff to the
> OS directly (or to the standard C libraries) we should hook them up to
> something that is a little more abstract and therefore reduces the
> effort of porting across OSes.

Have you seen the classlib port layer code that is already in Harmony?

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/group__Port.html

The existing natives(*) use this layer for all OS interaction.  There is
a portlib implementation for Windows and Linux on IA32 in Harmony.

I'm no expert on APR, but I would expect that implementing the portlib
on APR would be no more difficult than implementing it on any other
platform.

(*) modulo the security2 native code

For classlib developers who need to twiddle bits, there is a set of
pluggable Java interfaces (called I{File|Memory|Network}System.java) here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/nio/src/main/java/com/ibm/platform/

Regards,
Tim

--