harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: classlib/trunk repository structure
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:33:07 GMT

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> Sure -- if you want to change the website doc to better reflect reality
>> that would be welcomed.
> OK.

Hang on - the Authorized Contributor Questionnaire is conceptual in how
we want to manage any exposure issues.  The fact that it doesn't
absolutely reflect the layout in SVN is irrelevant.

I'd prefer making any changes to that document until our overall layout
settles down to avoid having to do continual changes.

>> We are actually in the enviable position of receiving some great
>> contributions into the project, which means (1) we are kinda busy
>> integrating this stuff which is more productive than rearranging the
>> stuff we currently have, and (2) it makes it easier for contributors to
>> hit a stationary target than one that changes from week to week.
> Yes. It is so.
> But I believe that we will help contributors if we will strictly
> define repostitory layout. Even without the changes to current one.

What problem are you really trying to solve?  IOW, has this stopped
anyone from contributing?

If so, please let us know, because there is no need to match the
structure when a contribution is made.  Good code is good code, and as
the receiver of the "gift", we're happy to do the work to put into our
project layout, with gratitude.

> The following questions are unclear (after reading policy and loking
> into repository):
> 1. Where to put native sources? Inside the module or inside the native-src.

We haven't resolved with 100% certainty, but I think we're in agreement
that in module is preferred.  But so far, there has been no compelling
reason to stop what we're doing and move it.

> 2. Where to put system dependent java sources?
> 3. Where to put system independent native sources?

We'll figure it out.  Right now we have a few good exmaples, and we
should take a hard look and decide.

> Or these questions are does not matter now and commiters can put their
> sources anywhere they want?

No - we all work together.  Committers aren't individual contractors -
we're collaborating to build something we all agree with...

Contributors, on the other hand, are free to provide to us in any way
they want.  We'd be happier if it was more like our structure(s) than
different, but we beggars can't be choosers... :)

geir
(who also works for Intel Middleware Products Division)