harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:26:13 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>>
>>> It also has a major social side effects: it would create the ultimate
>>> social bridge between the HTTPD/APR side of the foundation and the
>>> java side of the foundation, maybe allowing people from one side to
>>> contribute to the other, or, at least to help out in the interface
>>> between them which naturally is the JVM.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> Tomcat is APR aware via JNI (for connectors), and when it uses APR
>> has some *very* appreciable enhancements :)
>
> Heh.  The reason is because they are taking a different approach to IO,
> right?
>
> IOW, my guess is that if the Sun JVM used APR, nothing would change,
> because the problem is the standard Java APIs, not the integration of
> the VM w/ the OS services.  My understanding is that the Tomcat peeps
> just found a more optimal path to the OS services they needed for their
> specific problem.

Geir, I'm not proposed we expose a java APR API instead of the standard
java API, that's not the point.

My point is that a JVM has a lot of native hooks, by design. And that
those native hooks will have to be ported across operating systems and
that APR was designed to separate those OS dependencies from the Apache
2 codebase so that the web server could be built with some sort of 'OS
abstraction' in mind.

therefore, my suggestion is: instead of hooking our native stuff to the
OS directly (or to the standard C libraries) we should hook them up to
something that is a little more abstract and therefore reduces the
effort of porting across OSes.

As you note, if we do this right, the java users wouldn't be able to
tell a difference (if not, maybe, performance), but the difference would
be in lowing the costs of porting the native code across different OSes.

But then again, since I'm not the one doing the coding, I'll be happy to
  let do-ocracy take place.. I just thought I mentioned it since others
might not know of APR's existance and Apache HTTPD and Tomcat
connectors's dependency on it (which means it's there to stay and it's
heavily maintained and licensing compatible)

--
Stefano.