harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:16:41 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> tellison@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: tellison
>> Date: Fri Feb 10 05:57:38 2006
>> New Revision: 376690

>> Log:
>> Applying patches received as HARMONY-42 (com.ibm.io.nio.FileChannel
>> is not fully implemented)
>>  - refactoring of some java platform code
>>  - additional behavior on NIO file channels
>>  - refactoring of some IO code
>>  - work in progress on memory mapping
>

> Tim's commits made me think about something that I thought about a
> loooooong time ago (probably 1999) in the "would be awesome" kind of
> department but I put off for a future where we would have a project to
> work on a JVM.
>
> turns out we do have one now and turns out that APR[1] is a library
> that is now very solid and reached API stability over years of work by
> a lot of people.
>
> so, here it is, does it make sense to have harmony depend on APR and
> therefore abstract away all those OS-specificities? (I'm talking about
> both the VM and the native part of the class library).
>
> It also has a major social side effects: it would create the ultimate
> social bridge between the HTTPD/APR side of the foundation and the
> java side of the foundation, maybe allowing people from one side to
> contribute to the other, or, at least to help out in the interface
> between them which naturally is the JVM.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://apr.apache.org/

I haven't gone through the APR library therefore I don't know how many
layers (i.e. function calls)
it puts between Apache and the underlying OS.

As far as the the native code of the Classlib and the VM is concerned, I
think that we should keep it
as thinner as possible in order to:

        1. have Java programs run fast
        2. ease portability to different OS's and platforms (embedded
systems included)

The GNU/Classpath guys, for example, have defined a standard interface
to underlying OS
and that's it. Therefore I don't think we really need the APR layer.

Enrico