harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:01:49 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> IOW, my guess is that if the Sun JVM used APR, nothing would change,
> because the problem is the standard Java APIs, not the integration of
> the VM w/ the OS services.  My understanding is that the Tomcat peeps
> just found a more optimal path to the OS services they needed for their
> specific problem.

Not to mention that the IO layer is not covered with SCSL license,
and that there is no need to have platform-specific JNI code ;)

Of course, the current code covers more then standard Java API does,
like sendfile, shared memory, unix domain sockets, NT pipes, etc,
but that doesn't mean it's 'mandatory'.

If you remember, I spoke about developing classpath with APR as OS
abstraction layer, from Harmony start-up :)

Regards,
Mladen.