harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:52:44 GMT

Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>> It also has a major social side effects: it would create the ultimate
>> social bridge between the HTTPD/APR side of the foundation and the
>> java side of the foundation, maybe allowing people from one side to
>> contribute to the other, or, at least to help out in the interface
>> between them which naturally is the JVM.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Tomcat is APR aware via JNI (for connectors), and when it uses APR
> has some *very* appreciable enhancements :)

Heh.  The reason is because they are taking a different approach to IO,
right?

IOW, my guess is that if the Sun JVM used APR, nothing would change,
because the problem is the standard Java APIs, not the integration of
the VM w/ the OS services.  My understanding is that the Tomcat peeps
just found a more optimal path to the OS services they needed for their
specific problem.

geir