harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Using APR for Harmony's native link to the OS?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:54:15 GMT
tellison@apache.org wrote:
> Author: tellison
> Date: Fri Feb 10 05:57:38 2006
> New Revision: 376690

> Log:
> Applying patches received as HARMONY-42 (com.ibm.io.nio.FileChannel is not fully implemented)
>  - refactoring of some java platform code
>  - additional behavior on NIO file channels
>  - refactoring of some IO code
>  - work in progress on memory mapping

Tim's commits made me think about something that I thought about a
loooooong time ago (probably 1999) in the "would be awesome" kind of
department but I put off for a future where we would have a project to
work on a JVM.

turns out we do have one now and turns out that APR[1] is a library that
is now very solid and reached API stability over years of work by a lot
of people.

so, here it is, does it make sense to have harmony depend on APR and
therefore abstract away all those OS-specificities? (I'm talking about
both the VM and the native part of the class library).

It also has a major social side effects: it would create the ultimate
social bridge between the HTTPD/APR side of the foundation and the java
side of the foundation, maybe allowing people from one side to
contribute to the other, or, at least to help out in the interface
between them which naturally is the JVM.

What do you think?

[1] http://apr.apache.org/

--
Stefano.