harmony-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <zoe.slatt...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Which applications run using Harmony classes?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:54:02 GMT
OK - well - here is a plan.....

I have these scripts in a "hacked together" state and they currently
rely on reading the output from -verbose:class generated by an IBM JRE.
Ideally I'd like them to be able to read a couple of different formats.

If anyone is interested in knowing if their  app would (in theory) run
using Harmony classes open a JIRA called "Would $my_favourite_app run on
Harmony?" and attach the output from "java -verbose:class
$my_favourite_app". If this works I can pick up the output and use it to
test the tool. Please would you also attach the output from "java
-version"? I will append (or ask someone to append) a list of missing
files to the JIRA.

When I'm happy that my scripts work and I've tidied up the code I'll
attach the source as a JIRA and write some instructions on how to use it.

FWIW in looking at Derby, it looks as though we still need SQL (could
have predicted that I suppose) and JNDI, but those seem to be all that
are missing.  I can send the list of missing classes to anyone that
wants to verify this - it's just slightly too long to paste into mail

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> zoe slattery wrote:
>> I've tried to post this a couple of times from another mail account -
>> but it seems to go into a black hole - apologies if another two copies
>> turn up later  :-(
>>
>> I had some thoughts about running applications using Harmony classes.
>> Rather than just getting various applications and trying them with
>> Harmony I've been trying to see what classes they need.
>>
>> For example, I downloaded and installed Derby then ran this:
>>
>> java –verbose:class org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start
>> > dbc.txt
>>
>> This generates a file (dbc.txt) showing all of the classes that get
>> loaded when Derby starts up. The format of the output is something
>> like this:

>> class load: java/io/BufferedOutputStream
>> class load: java/io/BufferedReader
>> class load: java/io/BufferedWriter
>> class load: java/io/ByteArrayInputStream
>> class load: java/io/ByteArrayOutputStream
>> class load: java/io/CharConversionException
>> class load: java/io/DataInput
>> class load: java/io/DataInputStream
>>
>> using an IBM JRE - the format would likely be different using another
>> JRE. I ran a few more similar things to look at what classes get
>> loaded when you create tables, add rows etc. and then cat'd the class
>> load output into a single file. A more extensive test could be run by
>> using Derby unit tests.
>>
>> I wrote a small perl script that extracts the names of all of the java
>> classes and then compares these against the API spec to generate a
>> final list of API classes that are used by an application. I'd be
>> happy to supply the perl, although it needs a bit of tidying up.
>
> This is cool.
>

>> The next step would be to check how many of these exist in SVN already
>> - and maybe highlight the areas that we are missing?
>
> Yes!
>
>> So far, the only
>> way I have found to get a list of files that exist in SVN is using
>> something like "svn list $repos_path -R", if anyone knows of a better
>> (faster) way I'd be happy to hear it.
>
> Try to find a way to do it on a local checkout.  We don't want to be
> banging the SVN repo like this.  (We've been having problems lately w/
> people walking through the SVN repo, file after file, version after
> version, via the viewCVS interface.  Not a good use of resources.

Agreed - I did try the svn list command once and realised that it wasn't
going to be practical. It's easy to do on a local checkout.
> This would be cool - I'd love to post these on the website,  to let
> people know what they could do to help get their favorite app up and
> going.
>
> I wonder too if this could be combined with Gump somehow, so we can
> automatically test a large swatch of the "popular java app" world.

I don't know but would be happy to look (later)