harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Which applications run using Harmony classes?
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:30:33 GMT

zoe slattery wrote:
> I've tried to post this a couple of times from another mail account -
> but it seems to go into a black hole - apologies if another two copies
> turn up later  :-(
>
> I had some thoughts about running applications using Harmony classes.
> Rather than just getting various applications and trying them with
> Harmony I've been trying to see what classes they need.
>
> For example, I downloaded and installed Derby then ran this:
>
> java –verbose:class org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start > dbc.txt
>
> This generates a file (dbc.txt) showing all of the classes that get
> loaded when Derby starts up. The format of the output is something
> like this:

> class load: java/io/BufferedOutputStream
> class load: java/io/BufferedReader
> class load: java/io/BufferedWriter
> class load: java/io/ByteArrayInputStream
> class load: java/io/ByteArrayOutputStream
> class load: java/io/CharConversionException
> class load: java/io/DataInput
> class load: java/io/DataInputStream
>
> using an IBM JRE - the format would likely be different using another
> JRE. I ran a few more similar things to look at what classes get
> loaded when you create tables, add rows etc. and then cat'd the class
> load output into a single file. A more extensive test could be run by
> using Derby unit tests.
>
> I wrote a small perl script that extracts the names of all of the java
> classes and then compares these against the API spec to generate a
> final list of API classes that are used by an application. I'd be
> happy to supply the perl, although it needs a bit of tidying up.

This is cool.

> The next step would be to check how many of these exist in SVN already
> - and maybe highlight the areas that we are missing?

Yes!

> So far, the only
> way I have found to get a list of files that exist in SVN is using
> something like "svn list $repos_path -R", if anyone knows of a better
> (faster) way I'd be happy to hear it.

Try to find a way to do it on a local checkout.  We don't want to be
banging the SVN repo like this.  (We've been having problems lately w/
people walking through the SVN repo, file after file, version after
version, via the viewCVS interface.  Not a good use of resources.

This would be cool - I'd love to post these on the website,  to let
people know what they could do to help get their favorite app up and going.

I wonder too if this could be combined with Gump somehow, so we can
automatically test a large swatch of the "popular java app" world.

geir